COMING TO CRANKWORX ROTORUA? HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Crankworx Rotorua is kicking things off in just a few days. If you’re planning to get in on the action at the Whakarewarewa Forest and Skyline Rotorua, here’s all you need to know. And if you haven’t bought your ticket yet, hurry up and snag yours here before it’s too late!
The full schedule of events can be found here. We recommend you check this regularly in case there are any weather-related changes to the event start time (pesky wind and rain!).
The first event on the schedule is the Taniwha DH, Saturday, November 5th and Sunday, November 6th. The Taniwha DH is free to come and spectate, so head on up!
Getting to Whakarewarewa Forest
Parking & Shuttles
Spectator parking is available at Waipa Mountain Bike Park Carpark.
IMPORTANT: You cannot drive to the Event Hub or Taniwha track. You must park in the car park and either walk, bike or catch the shuttle (info below)
Shuttles will be available for spectators to get to the Event Hub and track. There will be two Shuttle Services operating for the Taniwha DH:
Carpark Shuttle Loop
- Waipa Main Carpark
- DH Hub
The Carpark Shuttle loop will circulate between the 2 stops continuously. The first shuttle will depart from Waipa Main Car Park 1 hour prior to the start of each training/track walk session and priority will be given to athletes.
This shuttle will transport you to Hill Road/Pipeline Road shuttle point (DH Hub), where you will need to disembark. Here you will have access to both the DH Hub and the Main Hill Shuttle Service.
*Priority will be given to athletes and media
Shuttle Loop Times
- Saturday: 7:30am – 5:00pm
- Sunday: 7:30am – 5:00pm
Main Hill Shuttle Service
This shuttle will take you to the start of the Taniwha DH track. If you wish to use this service, you must purchase a shuttle pass from Mountain Bike Rotorua. Information on where to purchase these and prices can be found here https://www.mtbrotorua.co.nz/shuttles
- MBRS Shuttle Pickup zone at the intersection of Hill Road and Pipeline Road (near the bottom of Taniwha DH trail).
Shuttles will depart for the Main Hill Shuttles periodically throughout each training, seeding and race session.
Main Hill Shuttle Service Times:
- Saturday: 8:40am – 5pm
- Sunday: 8:40am – 5pm
*Priority will be given to athletes and media
There will be an Event Hub at the bottom of the Taniwha Track with some food and beverage options available.
Where to Watch the Taniwha DH Action (it’s free!)
From the event hub at the bottom of the Taniwha DH track, there will be arrows directing spectators to the best viewing locations.
Getting to Skyline Rotorua
Skyline Rotorua will be the main event hub for Crankworx Rotorua. The ticketed portion of the festival will be taking place at Skyline Rotorua for five days from November 9 – 13. Grab your festival pass here if you haven’t already purchased yours yet!
Skyline Bike Park Operations
Bike Park access and track closures will be posted here
Getting to Skyline Rotorua by Car:
- Parking is available free for spectators in the Rowi Street Reserve.
- If Rowi Street Reserve is full, you will be directed to our overflow parking spaces
- Please follow all instructions given by the parking team upon entering the site and when being instructed where to park
- Don’t leave any valuables in your vehicles
- Ensure your vehicles are locked and secure
- No overnight camping or Freedom Camping
- Don’t leave your animals locked in your vehicles, no animals are permitted on site
- No alcohol, smoking, or vaping allowed on the event site – this includes parking areas
- Be a “Tidy Kiwi” can take all your rubbish with you or use the waste bins provided on site
- When exiting the site please follow the direction of the parking team and/or signage. Please be patient
- Do not attempt to park in the Skyline main carpark. This carpark will be monitored and is not available to those attending Crankworx Rotorua
- Only vehicles attending the event can park in the designated Crankworx Rotorua parking areas
Getting to Skyline Rotorua by Bike:
- Bike Parking is available at the main entrance. We recommend bringing your own bike lock.
- The cycleway from the city centre to Skyline Rotorua is networked by a shared cycleway and cycle lane that is easy to navigate and takes approximately 15 minutes.
Getting to Skyline Rotorua by Bus:
The local bus service, Cityride, has 11 routes throughout the city; Route 10 includes Rotorua Airport, while Route 1 includes stops at Skyline Rotorua, the site of Crankworx Rotorua.
Daysaver passes are only $7 per day and allow multiple rides and transfers within the day (valid on day of issue only). You can purchase a pass from the i-SITE Information and Visitor Centre or pay your fare directly to the driver (cash only).
Crankworx Rotorua Merch & Expo Festivities
Get kitted out with Crankworx Rotorua merch available for sale in the Expo area at Skyline Rotorua. Merch is also available for sale online at https://ilabb.com/collections/crankworx2022.
Speaking of the Expo area, check out the latest in mountain biking products, enter competitions and hang out with your mates at the Crankworx Rotorua expo where the biggest brand names in mountain biking are all in one place. Skyline Rotorua becomes the home of riding, with vibrant tents and interactive displays of all the industry heavyweights. For all the latest information on products and services, you’ve gotta check out our Expo!
Follow us on Instagram for updates and timing on exciting activations from key sponsors of Crankworx Rotorua. What kind of activations are on deck next week? We’ve got SRAM/Rockshox tuning clinics, Specialized Dig Day (check out details on Facebook here), LET GO ride with P Diggs and ilabb athletes, and loads of other fun surprises up our sleeve.
Where to Eat?
Crankworx Rotorua is stoked to host a huge variety of local fare in the Food Court at Skyline Rotorua. From healthy smoothies and vegan eats to more indulgent treats like donuts and Mexican street food, there is sure to be something for everyone. Check out the full list of food & beverage vendors here, and why not treat yourself?!
Can’t Make it Onsite?
Catch all the action live on Red Bull TV, follow us on Instagram @CrankworxRotorua and @Crankworx for for course previews and daily highlights, and photo recaps of all the best action from Crankworx Rotorua.