Rotorua Spectator Guide
Crankworx Rotorua 2020
Welcome to Crankworx Rotorua , the kickoff to the 2020 Crankworx World Tour, and the start of international competition season! We’re thrilled to be bringing the ultimate experience in mountain biking to Rotorua for Year Six.
You’ve got your tickets – now what?! We’ve pulled together all you need to know to get you here and to help make sure you make the most of the festival.
Schedule and Updates
Get the most up-to-date festival schedule by downloading the Crankworx World Tour app. Weather issues? Scheduling changes? You’ll get a notification directly to your phone the second changes are made. You can download the app for free for Apple and Android devices.
For news, updates and photos, check out the Crankworx Rotorua 2020 FB Event Page.
When you get to Skyline, be sure to pick up the official event guide! The team from Spoke Magazine, New Zealand’s number one mountain bike magazine and website, has put together this FREE resource that includes everything from schedule info to interviews with your favourite athletes.
Festival Hours at Skyline Rotorua
March 4-6: Gates open at 10 a.m.
March 7: Gates open at 8 a.m.
March 8: Gates open at 9 a.m.
Take the load off of traffic and get on your bike! Or catch the bus. How about carpooling with your fellow bike fans?
Crankworx by Bus and Bike
You can grab the Number 1 City Ride bus from the CBD to Skyline. Check the route and timings. The Ngongotaha shared path links Lake Road all the way to Kawaha Point separated from traffic. Use that route to cycle to Crankworx and make the most of the extra time saved by checking out the Expo.
Two road closures will be in place during the event from Friday, March 6 to Sunday, March 8, 2020.
- Mountain Rd: Closed from Clayton Rd intersection. Open to residents and tour buses only.
- Barnard Rd: controlled closure – open to residents and controlled parking.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be the busiest days at Skyline Rotorua. Extra traffic is expected which may cause some delays for motorists. Crankworx Rotorua has allocated overflow parking and will be encouraging people to use alternate modes of transport to ease traffic pressures.
With thousands of fans converging on Skyline, parking restrictions are in effect. Parking at Skyline itself is closed to the public attending Crankworx.
With that in mind, Crankworx Rotorua has three convenient parking locations all within a 15-minute walk to Skyline.
- Rowi Street Reserve – this includes extra parking within the Rotohokahoka block for 4WD vehicles only (5 min walk)
- Kawaha Point Reserve (10 min walk)
- Waikite Rugby Club – on Friday and Saturday between 3pm – 5pm overflow parking will be available
With so much to do and see from dawn to dusk (and beyond) a little preparation will go a long way to ensuring you and your family and friends have the best experience possible.
- Bring along a reusable water bottle and make the most of the Camelbak refill station
- Sunscreen stations will be on-site but it’s a good idea to bring some for those times when you’ve secured a good spot to watch the events
- There will be a great offering of food vendors on site, but feel free to bring along your favourte snacks – but please keep our volunteer crew in mind! Only pack in what you can pack out.
Health and Safety On-site
As our mountain bike family prepares to descend on Crankworx Rotorua, please be mindful of the following tips to ensure your health and well-being and that of all those attending the festival alongside you. The health and safety of everyone on-site is our highest priority, and a few simple actions from you can go a long way to helping with this.
- Be proactive with health and hygiene: Hand sanitizer is available on-site inside the portaloos. Rub your hands together covering all surfaces of hands and fingers for about 20 seconds until it’s absorbed.
- If you’re feeling unwell, stay home and let us know! Were you set to attend Crankworx Rotorua 2020 but feeling unwell? Stay home and let us know so we can check in on your health and well-being and ensure the same of our festival guests: https://forms.gle/zzb2svgAiG1D1boC9
- Cover your cough or sneeze: Cough or sneeze into your elbow to stop the spread of germs.
Please note, for your security there will be bag checks to enter the site. With that in mind, here are a few things NOT to bring:
- Knives of any sort (even if it’s a butter knife)
- Tents or gazebos
- Drones (unless previously approved by Crankworx Rotorua)
- Gas cookers or BBQs (these are not permitted anywhere on-site including parking areas due to the heightened risk of fire during this dry weather)
- No pets are allowed in the venue. Please leave your dogs, cats and parrots safely at home.
Also, please note – Crankworx Rotorua is a smoke and vape free zone! If you need to smoke, you will have to leave the site.
Crankworx Rotorua wants to make sure everyone can experience the action and thrills of the world’s largest mountain bike festival. The team is ready to assist anyone with mobility issues getting to and from parking and around the festival site. If you’re interested in heading up to check out the action but concerned about mobility issues fill out the accessibility form and one of the Crankworx Rotorua crew will be in touch.
Best of the Fest, Expo Edition
We hope you’ve saved up your pocket money!
The expo is your home for delicious snacks, meals and ice-cold bevies! Come and check out our huge selection of options from local vendors, keeping you going throughout the day.
The expo will also be the place go to check out the hottest new gear, get kitted out head to toe, and nab some amazing deals.
Be sure to check out some of our favourites for new products, giveaways and more:
Bosch – Put the latest eMTB models to the test! Book in at the Bosch stand during the week to try the demo loop or jump on the Wahoo bike trainer.
The Rock – The Rock Roadies are back for 2020 so keep an eye out for them to get your hands on some awesome swag.
Gull – This year Gull has gone next level. They will be on-site all week with giveaways galore including the big one – a 2020 Trance Advanced Pro 292.
Torpedo7 – Gear up and get ready for a whole lot of fun from Torpedo7. Take part in the Mons Manual Challenge, GoPro Workshop and Torpedo7 Treasure Hunt.
Spoke – Swing by the Spoke stand and enter a draw to win a $5000 mountain bike! This year’s event guide is produced by Spoke, full of all the info you need to enjoy the week.
Toi Ohomai – Head to the chill-out zone then sit back, relax and enjoy the entertainment.
GoPro – Daily experience giveaways, luging with Skyline and more. Visit the team to get in to win.
IXS & SPANK – You won’t want to miss this one! This year we have a mechanical bull on-site and it’s your chance to ‘out ride a pro’. Visit the IXS and SPANK teams to get involved.
Maxxis – All week the Maxxis team will be giving people the chance to be the ‘Maxxis High Roller’. Get a ticket and come by the booth for a chance to spin and win.
Red Bull – Athlete signing sessions – Line up to see your favourite Red Bull riders at the Red Bull Athlete Lounge daily from Friday through to Sunday.
CLIF – Try all the CLIF goods on Friday at the Clif Speed & Style Rotorua presented by Mons Royale.
Don’t miss out on some of the after hours happenings taking place during Crankworx Rotorua
Canon Deep Summer Photo Competition presented by the Regent of Rotorua
This annual fan-favourite event is going next-level in 2020 and taking place at an all-new venue!
After three marathon days of shooting in and around Rotorua, five photographers will come together to put on an epic slideshow event at Hidden Forest, nestled amongst the trees at Skyline Rotorua.
Attendees will be invited to “gondola up” and “luge down” to the venue. A complimentary drink will be served on arrival and there will be a cash bar and light snacks menu available.
Get your Canon Deep Summer Photo Competition presented by the Regent of Rotorua tickets before they sell out! This is one celebration of mountain bike culture you won’t want to miss.
Official Crankworx Rotorua After Party
Join event organizers, volunteers, athletes and more at the first-ever Crankworx Rotorua Official Afterparty at Blue Baths! Doors open to the public at 9:30 p.m. Come on down and celebrate an amazing week with all your bike-minded friends!